Sunday, September 14, 2008

What Makes A Good Doctor?

What makes a good doctor... specifically, a good pediatrician? Is it the way she treats her patients? Is it the friendship that she builds with her patients' parents as well as their other family members? Is it the way she guides you on how to take care of your child during their "sick times"? Is it the many free medicine samples she gives you every time you come to her for your child's check-up? Is it about the discount she gives you from her PF?

Honestly, I don't really know! I don't even have the slightest idea. I just had my first baby and ever since I gave birth to my son, Enzo, Dra. Cynthia Padilla was the only pediatrician who took care of him. I never really met a pediatrician before her. Of course, there are the other residents at the Cardinal Santos Medical Santos who looked after my Enzo when he was hospitalized. I also cannot forget to mention Dra. Kitty Gayo, Dra. Padilla's associate, who also checks on Enzo if and when Dr. Padilla is not available, and who, by the way, is also a very, very good pediatrician. But generally, it was Dra. Padilla who technically "guided" me and my husband in taking care of Enzo so we really owe her a lot, so to speak.

Yesterday, Enzo was scheduled to see his Endocrinologist, Dra. Ludivina Garces, for his monthly monitoring of his TSH and FT4 levels. While we were in Dra. Garces' clinic, she mentioned that Dra. Padilla was scheduled to leave for the US... for good! I felt panic, worry, and most of all, sadness all at the same time. I wondered why she had to go. Luckily, Enzo had an appointment with Dra. Padilla on the very same day. I can't wait for us to get to her clinic to confirm the sad news.

When we arrived at her clinic at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center, I immediately asked Marivic, Dr. Padilla's very friendly and "very fashionista" secretary, if the news is true. Deep inside, I was hoping she'd say that, "No, she's not leaving for good. She will just be on a vacation". But instead, she asked me where I got the news and told me to just talk to Dra. Padilla about it.

Since it was a Saturday, the line in Dra. Padilla's clinic was like trying to see a blockbuster movie. It took us like 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours until we got our turn to see her. And during those long hours of waiting, I felt restless. I wanted to see her at once but I had no choice but to wait for our turn. And so after finishing "Tarzan" and half of "Peter Pan", we finally had our turn to see her. I asked her at once about the news... and so it really was confirmed. Their "green card" was approved so she & her husband, Dr. Sito Padilla, had to go. This time, I really felt like crying already. But I had to stop myself kasi nakakahiya naman to pour out in front of her and Mennen and also my husband. But I really, really felt like crying na talaga.


Instead, after she finished checking on Enzo, I just asked if we could have our picture taken with her for a souvenir. I've been meaning to ask her way before pa for my scrapbook but I always forget to do so. And so we did have our first, and hopefully not the last, picture taken with her. And when it was time to leave her clinic, I felt a lump in my throat again and this time, my eyes were watery na. I wanted to give her a hug while thanking her but I couldn't even look at her kasi I knew my tears will start to fall already (in fact, as I am writing this, I feel like crying again). So we just bid her goodbye and wished her the best of luck.


This out pour of sadness made me wonder: why do I feel this way for my son's pediatrician? She's not rendering her services to us for free, anyways, so why get so emotional about her leaving? The answer: she's sincerely concerned with our dear Enzo. She helped us save our son's life. Our Enzo did not course through a normal life especially in his first year but with her help and concern, we managed to get Enzo out of danger. I know other doctors would have done the same thing for our son for it is their duty to save lives but she was the doctor we were blessed with and so we will be forever thankful to her.

So to you, Dra. Padilla, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you very, very much! From the time we met you, we knew our son was in good hands and you proved that to us. Looking at our son now, we knew we wouldn't have gotten him in his better condition right now without you. You are such a wonderful doctor and you always have a way to make us feel assured that everything will be okay even at times when our Enzo couldn't seem to recover from his poor health. You will surely be missed. I'm sure we are not the only parents who are feeling this way about your leaving. We hope that you will find it in your heart to come back here in the Philippines (soon) and stay for good.

So what makes a good doctor? For me, it's all about Dra. Cynthia Padilla... : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

madison. said...

Darling, this is fantastic. I stumbled across your blog and found myself captivated. It's glorious. Please visit my personal blog sometime;

Afternoon Tea:
http://www.madisonreece.blogspot.com